Monday, July 29, 2013

OPI Pink of Hearts 2013 Swatches and Review



Here are the two gorgeous lacquers that come in the OPI Pink of Hearts 2013 box set.


no base coat, 3 coats Pink-ing of You, no top coat

The pink shade that comes in the set is called Pink-ing of You.  It is a full coverage pink creme polish that dries with a perfect shine.  For those of you that wear polish without base and/or top coat, this polish would work well without either, and you wouldn't have to worry about staining.  I used three very thin coats because it was extremely hot inside when I was painting and I had a fan on (and heat + fan + polish = bubbles), so to avoid bubbles I tried to do the thinest coats possible.  You could achieve this coverage with two regular coats of polish.




Now I tried to consider what polish I had that was closest in shade to Pink-ing of You and I was recently gifted I Think in Pink by a dear friend, and in the bottle they look like almost the same shade of pink.  In the photo above, Pink-ing of You is on the left, I Think in Pink is on the right.


(From left to right) 3 coats Pink-ing of You, 2 coats I Think in Pink, 3 coats Pink-ing of You, 2 coats I Think in Pink

In the photograph above, you can see that one of the major differences between Pink-ing of You and I Think in Pink is the fact that I Think in Pink is sheer compared to the creme finish of Pink-ing of You.  I turned off the fan to switch to I Think in Pink, so I used 2 regular coats of polish to create the same thickness of polish comparable to the 3 thin coats of Pink-ing of You, and if you look at the above photo, the nail line is visible on my middle and pinky nails through I Think in Pink.


no base coat, 2 coats More than a Glimmer, no top coat

More than a Glimmer is described by OPI as a matte glitter polish.  The packaging also calls this polish "Limited Edition" so it is likely this polish will not come out later as a separate polish that you can purchase without having to buy a packaged set as it comes now.  This polish is very glitter packed and comes in a milky base.  Made of medium, small, and micro-sized metallic hexagonal shaped glitter in silver, pink, orange, yellow, green, and blue.  

Although I had thought the finish on this polish would be that of a jelly sandwich look - where the glitter would look as if it was sandwiched between layers of a milky white polish - because this polish is so glitter packed, you can't do more than 2 coats without the glitter starting to poke out on the top of the nail rather than lying flat.  So while the finish is a perfect matte glitter finish, the milky color is not as obvious as one might expect from just looking at the bottle.


no base coat, 1 coat More than a Glimmer over 2 coats of Pink-ing of You, no top coat

And here are the two polishes layered together.  This is almost a similar look to Deborah Lippmann's Candy Shop without the suspended glitter finish.  




If you are looking to buy the set online, look for the above package that lists this as the 2013 Pink of Hearts set.  The set also comes with 10 pink ribbon decals and 10 micro nail crystals that you can add to top off your new polished look.

Overall I'd say the matte glitter polish is a great creation by OPI, something unique that will definitely appeal to the nail polish aficionado.  The pink is a nice neutral creme polish but is nothing unique, so if you have light pink creme polishes in your collection it is likely you will already have a similar shade of polish in your stash.

4 comments:

  1. So pretty. I don't have a lot of bubblegum pink polishes, and this one looks gorgeous. May be worth it for me to search this set out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You need this set in your life. I'm not a huge fan of pink polish, but the few that I do have do not glide on as easily or look as good! Try your local beauty store - that's where I found mine.

      Delete
  2. Yep. Must buy this set. STAT. Beautiful swatches. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Run to the store (or to your computer?) - this is such a great set that everyone can use!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I love to hear from everyone that shares a love of nail polish and painter's tape! Please respect my blog and do not leave links in the comments. If you leave a link, your comment will be treated as spam and will be removed.